MAPh SMART Precision Farming
WHAT IS PRECISION FARMING?
A farm management concept based on observing and responding to field variations. The goal is to optimise the return from inputs while preserving resources. It relies on satellites and receivers to locate precise positions in a field using GPS.
WHY USE PRECISION FARMING?
- Matches farming practices more closely to crop needs
- Reduces environmental risks and footprint of farming
- More efficient practices boosting competitiveness
- Improve lease arrangements and relationships with landlords
- Enhance marketing of farm products
- Create a record of farm practices resulting in greater traceability
HOW DO WE MAP SOIL?
The field boundary is measured using GPS to give a precise working area. The field is split into equal sized grids, a minimum of 12 samples are taken from each grid, these samples are sent away to a UKAS accredited laboratory where they are tested for pH and/or specific nutrients.
We use low ground pressure ATV’s which allow us to travel across varying field conditions. These vehicles are fitted with sampling equipment and a computer based system which enables us to plot a map as the samples are being taken and then go on to produce the final product which is received by the farmer.
WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE INFORMATION
- Colour coded nutrient maps clearly show variations across the field
- Field maps over laid onto satellite images for easy identification and orientation
- FACTS trained and qualified advisors will produce fertiliser recommendations based on:
Cropping - Soil type - Straw removal - Yield Rainfall (in accordance with RB209)
- Produce files for variable rate lime, Phosphorus and Potassium applications.
KEY BENEFITS OF MAPh SMART
- Map nutrient/pH variations throughout your fields
- Place nutrients where required
- More even soil nutrient status
- Less free lime in soil
- “Traditional” W sampling method out dated (statistically only 33% accurate)
- Potential to improve yield where nutrients/acidity/alkalinity are limiting factors
- Potential to reduce fertiliser/lime expenditure
- Reduction of environmental impact/carbon footprint-applying only to areas that have a requirement
- Justification of fertiliser usage compliance with legislation/audit schemes
- Consistant yeild and maturity throughout yeild
WHAT ACTION CAN YOU TAKE?
- Variable rate lime and fertiliser application files can be created for your GPS system
- Variable rate fertiliser plans can be produced for each year of the rotation
- Suitable lime and fertiliser products are advised and can be sourced
- Contract variable rate lime and fertiliser application services can be offered
Why should you take action?
BALANCE - as can be seen from Mulders chart each nutrient has a positive or negative effect on others, having that nutrient available and in the optimum quantity is the key to good, healthy plant growth. However, availability of these nutrients is governed by soil pH as can be seen in the graph above. Mapping your fields ensures that the areas requiring lime are identified and no lime is applied to areas without a requirement.
BALANCE = POTENTIAL
Maphsmart is a joint venture between W.N.Lindsay and Crop Services. We are two like minded privately owned companies with common goals. The time is now right for us to introduce Precision Farming to our existing customers and potential customers. In this brochure you will be taken through the process of Precision Farming and your Farm Trader / Agronomist will be only to happy to discuss further details with you.